This April, I decided to continue my edit/rewrite of The Book of Immortality. I had a goal of 20,000 words and I hit that on April 25th, then continued writing until April 29th. At this point, I reached the end of chapter 26, and decided that would be a good stopping point for the month. My final word count is 21,732.
I finished rewriting/editing 11 chapters. One of those chapters was started in March, while the other 10 were done entirely in April. From the first draft, one chapter was removed entirely, and two chapters were put together since they were both too short to begin with. This means that while the first draft had 41 chapters, this second draft now has 39 chapters.
The rewrite is now at 26/39 chapters. Finishing those last 13 chapters will probably take another month and a half. After that’s done, it’s time for the final rewrite!
Yes, this current (second) draft won’t be the final one. I’ve been using this draft to clean up the plot, make things clearer, and fix dialogue, but I still need to add a lot of description. I’ve been trying to do some of that in this second draft, but each chapter is still going to need some polish before I’ll be satisfied with them.
I’m going to post the third draft as a serial on this blog. I won’t wait until I’m finished editing the whole thing – I’m planning on posting one chapter per week as I do the final edits.
Finally, I’ll be able to have some writing up here!